The collective that constitutes the HUG forms one of the five university hospitals of Switzerland. It includes eight public hospitals and two clinics with a total of 1,890 beds and 40 outpatient units throughout the canton of Geneva.
Nearly 12,000 staff handle 63,913 hospital cases and 1,064,856 outpatient consultations.
The World Health Organization recognises the HUG as a center of excellence and collaboration in the fields of :
- eHealth and telemedicine
- Therapeutic education
- Historical research into Public Health
- Patient safety
As a university hospital, the state entrusts it with a three-fold mission; treatment and care, teaching and research.
The HUG trace their roots back to the early 16th century, with the founding of the General Hospital of Geneva. In 1856, the creation of the Hôpital Cantonal, dedicated to medical work, paved the way for the creation of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Geneva in 1876.